Piloting, from hercs to mechs.

Piloting, from hercs to mechs.
A running recap of what I'm doing for fun, between active duty flying, technology, gadgets, and some of my favorite games.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

A quick update on the new system burn-in.

Idle temps (my office stays about 78 F)


I'm using WoW to burn in the CPU and GPU, and so far I am very pleased with what I've seen.  The GPU temps seem to steady out around 63C, while the motherboard and CPU temps stay in the mid- to upper-40s.  Given how much stuff is crammed in that case, I am not disappointed with these temps.  I may try to increase the top fan speed, seeing as it currently stays at 1900rpm.  The "CPU fan" is actually the watercooling pump, which I set to receive full voltage.

WoW performs well and the system is running even better than before.  I used Arctic Silver 5 for the CPU, and that seems to be worth the small investment.  Also, for inquiring minds, I used the line method as recommended by Arctic.
Line method for thermal paste
The ultimate victory for this system was that I turned on the computer and booted straight to windows.  I installed new motherboard drivers and was running full speed without having to reinstall windows at all.

Now, for WoW-related updates:
I began exploring dailies, as well as the Pandaren questline, in an effort to raise my item level beyond 463.  I am happy to report that I had success.  I got revered with Klaxxi and Tillers, which allowed me to get a decent neck using valor.  I ran a handful of 5-man random heroics, and got my average item level to about 455.  A guildie, out of the goodness of his own heart, crafted me two ilvl 483 cloth pieces, which I am particularly grateful for.  The Pandaren questline that begins at the top of Mogu Palace yielded a decent epic pair of shoes.  I bought a decent epic offhand from the AH for 1000 gold, which is relatively cheap.  And all that allowed me to queue for raids.  I now have a composite item level of 472, which qualifies me for the 460 and 470 LFR instances.

I successfully completed my first LFR yesterday.  I don't even know which one it was...there was a mantid that had a challenging tornado alley dynamic.  I got 2 sets of boots and a new helm!  I also got my first ingot, so I am on my way to completing the legendary quest that gives me a legendary gem.

I got exalted with Tillers, and now I am taking jobs to raise rep with others.  Hopefully this is worth the time.  The most time-consuming thing I'm doing on my priest right now is Sunreaver dailies on the Isle of Thunder.  These take a while, although the gear rewards are pretty good.

I think the big ticket is going to be LFR, "looking for raid," since the gear in those instances is almost 500 item level.  I still need to research the items that allow me to roll for extra gear on bosses.  I like the instant queue quality of a healer, but I am not thrilled with the inadequate grinding power of a shadow priest during dailies.

No comments:

Post a Comment