Piloting, from hercs to mechs.

Piloting, from hercs to mechs.
A running recap of what I'm doing for fun, between active duty flying, technology, gadgets, and some of my favorite games.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

A powerful Mini ITX build for my deployment

Great success!  After a lot of research, form reading, and a little budgeting...I purchased all the needed components for the smallest computer I have ever built.
I chose the Sugo SG08 because it fits inside my Zuca bag, which will be my method of transporting the computer with me when I deploy.  Why was this important?  Because the Zuca bag comes with a steel frame that will protect the actual computer from getting crushed.  If you ever see the military palletize bags, you will understand why I was concerned about it.  I had a rolling gorilla chest last time for my electronic stuff, but it was unwieldy and awful to drag around, which we end up doing a lot.

Now, the parts I had to order for the new build:
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG08 with the provided 600W PSU
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I mini ITX
CPU cooling: Corsair H60 watercooling unit
Optical drive: Toshiba (TSST) slimline DVD writer SN-208

New Toys!

The stuff I brought from my existing full ATX tower:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K (LGA1155)
RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX560 titanium
Drives: Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD and a WD 2TB green

The total package...more than a few minutes later
I will continue this thread with a picture by picture explanation of the build...but so far I want to report that I have had great success.  I didn't have to reinstall windows, only drivers for the new mobo.  CPU temps seem idle at 36C!  The only noise is coming from the Corsair fan at the top.  I am quite pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment