Piloting, from hercs to mechs.

Piloting, from hercs to mechs.
A running recap of what I'm doing for fun, between active duty flying, technology, gadgets, and some of my favorite games.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Back in the land of low ping...what lessons carry over?

I am so happy to report that I am back in the States with my wonderful wife, no longer stuck in Iraq or Kuwait.  So, with our U-Verse internet, I do not have the same latency or bandwidth concerns whatsoever.  (I have had some serious changes to my account, and I am now playing on Medivh server when able.)  I make it a point to learn long-term, applicable lessons in every adversity.  Here are some of the things that carry over nicely as I transition back into a stateside environment.

If you play on a limited schedule because of family, work, or business like I do...almost everything other than mechanics will apply.  Why is that?  Because I often must be able to simply drop whatever I'm doing in-game for something more pressing or important IRL.
Let's expand.  As a healer, I understand that my role is to be there to facilitate a group as they work toward a goal.  Traditionally, this means healing a heroic instance, a raid, or a PVP battleground or arena team.  Since I've been forced to focus on PVE for so long, that is my passion.  I do not always have time for a heroic, because I have set a boundary as a casual player.  How so?  I intentionally label WoW as my "HOBBY"...and much like other hobbies, I do not allow it to monopolize my time when I would rather be spending quality time with my wife, family, or friends.  The in-game effects are: I have to be doing something that I can terminate immediately without letting people down.  I don't want to be constantly leaving instances midstream or leaving guildies hanging.  I had to once this week and I felt bad.
So, what do I do?  I efficiently manage time on the AH with TSM.  I used rested exp to finish leveling a new toon, Smoogehunt.  Even as impressive, I maxed out jewelcrafting and inscription on that toon.  (Those professions were my motivation for starting the character in the first place.)  I efficiently complete daily quests on my DK and gather at the same time (currently in Deepholm for 1 more day to exalted, then probably Hyjal or Uldum).
I also gather quickly for very basic mats...right now, Uldum is a cash cow.  With the max flying speed on a Tauren DK, I can pick up 4 or 5 stacks of Whiptail in 20 minutes, and that will also inevitably be enough Volatile Life for my daily transmute to Volatile Air.
I complete a daily jewelcrafting quest, and I have accumulated 5 profitable patterns already.

Bottom line?  With a sporadic schedule, and only bursts of playable time at random times during the day, I purchased Staff of Dark Mending for the priest at 18,000 gold.  Enchanting is maxed and I self-enchanted the new staff with Power Torrent (not cheap).  I am now back up to around 12,000 gold, and that is after purchasing 6 heirloom items from the guild vendor (for the new leveling project Smoogebear).
I have not run as many heroic instances as I anticipated, but I correctly gemmed and reforged every single piece of gear for Disc, according to my research and guild suggestions.  I have accumulated 3 new 345 item level pieces, and I plan to purchase a Sandstone Drake within a week or so.  This is all with about 30 minutes played on average each day.

Three 85 characters, plenty of heirloom gear for my next toons, a priest that is gearing up nicely and a DK that can pull weight in heroics (thanks to the BOE maces from ZG that sell for 1200 gold now...Hercpilot has two of those and a good PVE DW frost spec).

I am really big on systems for success.  In business, this is very important...true residual or passive income can only come from a successful system, not raw amounts of effort.  And that applies so well to WoW as a gaming hobby!  My system involves efficiency tools like TradeSkillMaster and Auctionator, a good UI that carries well for multiple classes, clear boundaries regarding playtime (so I don't have to feel guilty about playing), and the knowledge of how to get the biggest bang for every minute I'm logged on.  I know there are higher levels of AH, raiding, or PVP success available...but I am very happy because I can still enjoy my favorite game without a 3 hour per day requirement.

As a caviat, I want to thank Krrang of Alchanon for welcoming me so warmly on a new server.  If you haven't heard his podcast, you really should check out "Love to the Guild Leader" on iTunes.  And congrats on level 25!  I hear they just dinged about 12 hours ago.  I plan to post some more on leveling tunes quickly and how that might apply to overseas/deployed/crappy-connection gameplay, so rest assured I am carrying on the specific strength of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment